MISSISSAUGA, ON, Oct. 19, 2018 /CNW/ – Morguard is pleased to announce its recognition by Canadian Occupational Safety, a Thomson Reuters Awards Program, as one of Canada’s Safest Employers for the sixth consecutive year. The award acknowledges Morguard’s outstanding commitment to occupational health and safety, a business imperative that Morguard continuously works to embed into its organizational culture.
“Morguard recognizes the importance of leading a robust occupational health and safety program to ensure our business, employees, tenants, vendors and partners realize the benefits of our safety culture,” said K. Rai Sahi, Chairman and CEO, Morguard Corporation. “We embrace occupational health and safety as an opportunity to invest in the company and the wellbeing of all stakeholders in our communities.”
What makes Morguard an OH&S Leader?
With the alignment and engagement of senior leaders, managers and employees across the organization, Morguard empowers all employees to be accountable for contributing to the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) system and providing feedback on how to improve it. Every year, the organization invests in educational programs and tools designed to keep people safe in Morguard’s owned and managed shopping centres, office buildings, industrial properties, hotels and apartments.
Morguard’s unique approach to developing processes in-house is integral to the success of the company’s OHS strategy. The system focuses on a collaborative culture where employees share the responsibility for each other’s safety and welfare as a whole. This is realized by:
- Improving systems and processes already in place, and providing ongoing employee training to realize goals
- Maintaining ongoing communication across the entire organization about occupational health and safety
- Preparing and improving robust response plans for all properties in the event of an emergency
- Developing programs to allow a greater level of control and customization by stakeholder and to create clear lines of responsibility
- Encouraging active employee and tenant participation through inclusive program planning, implementation and measurement
- Identifying potential hazards and working collaboratively on solutions and risk mitigation
- Monitoring and communicating closely with all employees to make sure they are doing everything they can to mitigate risk
- Providing online resources and training tools for all employees and managers
What benefits does Morguard realize from OH&S?
This approach to risk management in occupational health and safety is key to maintaining a productive workforce, managing liability for property owners, and upholding a reputation as a landlord of choice. Keeping safety at the forefront of all initiatives is what continues to make Morguard a top performer and one of Canada’s safest employers year after year.
Read the case study here.
About Canada’s Safest Employers Award
The Thomson Reuters Awards program recognizes Canadian organizations for outstanding performance in workplace health and safety. The Awards submissions were reviewed by an expert judging panel followed by an employee safety perception survey. Judging criteria was based on Leadership and Management Support, Employee Engagement, Communication, Innovation and Injury Statistics.
Morguard Corporation (TSX: MRC) is a major North American real estate company. It has extensive retail, office, industrial, multiâsuite residential, and hotel holdings owned directly, or through its investment in Morguard REIT (TSX: MRT.UN), Morguard North American Residential REIT (TSX: MRG.UN) and Temple Hotels Inc. (TSX:TPH). Morguard also provides real estate management services to institutional and other investors. Morguard’s owned and managed portfolio of assets is valued at $21.7 billion. Please visit www.morguard.com or follow us on LinkedIn.
SOURCE Morguard Corporation
View original content: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/October2018/19/c2841.html